Thursday, June 28, 2012

It Feels like 123 Degrees Fahrenheit!

I just checked the weather... Marie and I came over to the internet cafe to check our email and blog. There is no air conditioning in this little upstairs cafe, we are sweating like we are running a marathon. It is just another reminder that we are not in Texas anymore! We just laughed when I checked the weather and it feels like 123 degrees fahranheit. No surprise that you can sweat  this bad from sitting still and only typing!


Thursdays is the volunteers day off, so we were very happy to sleep in for the first time since we made it to India. After going to breakfast we walked to the Victoria Memorial ( about a 30 minutes walk from out hotel) and visited the museum inside the memorial. It is filled the history of Calcutta and the influence of British rule in West Bengal.

Funny story from the trip....
It is not usually recommended in the travel books to tell everyone you are from the United States, I usually just feel the situation out if someone asks. It is easy to forget that all our movies and advertising makes it over to India and people are more connected with the internet than they were even 10 years ago. Callie was asked by someone where she was from and she told them Australia, then they proceeded to ask here about many of the landmarks that she was not familiar with. In her mind she thought she needed to come up with a more obscure place that people did not know as much about...Austria was it! Not long after the first incident, she was asked again where she was from and she replied Austria. The man who appeared to be a begger in the streets, began fluently talking to her in German! At this point, she just began telling the she was from the US.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you daily and just love reading about your adventure. Was late starting because I forgot to write down the address but got it from Dado yesterday. He is reading and following your trip. Sends his love. Be safe, have a great time and know I love you!!! ILY Aunt Lo

    ReplyDelete