Calcutta is a place filled with a community that is hard to describe. I believe that I have been drawn back here because of the feeling of community that exists in this town. So much life is out in the streets and ally ways. I have never been excited to wake up at five in the morning, except in India. The twenty minute walk to Mother House is filled with people starting their fires and making tea, the street sweepers are busy with their brooms and wheelbarrows, laundry being done at the corner water pumps, people are covered in soapy lather taking their morning bath, teeth brushing, taxis being washed, and the occasional late sleeper in doorways and in truck beds. The town is alive and getting ready for the day. It is nothing like my mornings back home. I think of how rarely I see my neighbors at home, but walking down the streets here is similar to looking to a persons life. It is a fishbowl of sorts, giving a morning nod or hello, children dancing behind you as you move along your way. We see the man delivering bread, another delivering milk, bicycles covered in chicken hanging by their feet on their way to market. The horns are not blaring yet, the streets are quiet and beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment