I have just recently finished reading a book called Life of the Beloved by Henri J.M. Nouwen. One of the things that I read that really struck me was as follows, " The more I recognize the true gifts that in us, seemingly non-handicapped people, often remain buried beneath our talents. The so-visible brokenness of our handicapped people has, in some mysterious way, allowed then to offer their gifts freely and without inhibition."
It makes me think about our girls at Shanti Dan. Most of them cannot speak to us with words but they offer their gifts so very freely. Two of our most handicapped girls (Both have very twisted bodies and cannot sit comfortably, even in their wheelchairs) seem to have a very special bond and have beds right next to each other. Rani and Rehka both smile when you mention the others name, their faces beam when you talk to one about the other. Pinky and Sangita Mary also have beds next to each other, they laugh nonstop after lunch. Both girls seem to get very tickled when the other wets the bed almost like it is a game. These two have also began blowing kisses across the dorm-style bedroom that they are in with 50 other girls. I am continually amazed by the more able bodied girls that offer to help the others. It happen more than I could ever notice, but they give so much of themselves to help.
This has been a true lesson in humility and compassion. The funny thing is that in these situations I always come out feeling like I have received more, than I could ever given. A true lesson in love!
It makes me think about our girls at Shanti Dan. Most of them cannot speak to us with words but they offer their gifts so very freely. Two of our most handicapped girls (Both have very twisted bodies and cannot sit comfortably, even in their wheelchairs) seem to have a very special bond and have beds right next to each other. Rani and Rehka both smile when you mention the others name, their faces beam when you talk to one about the other. Pinky and Sangita Mary also have beds next to each other, they laugh nonstop after lunch. Both girls seem to get very tickled when the other wets the bed almost like it is a game. These two have also began blowing kisses across the dorm-style bedroom that they are in with 50 other girls. I am continually amazed by the more able bodied girls that offer to help the others. It happen more than I could ever notice, but they give so much of themselves to help.
This has been a true lesson in humility and compassion. The funny thing is that in these situations I always come out feeling like I have received more, than I could ever given. A true lesson in love!
No comments:
Post a Comment