The past two days I have spent a lot of time thinking about being here in India. It is easy to joke about the heat, our hotel, and the funny things that happen here. It is easy to hide behind the funny things that occur, but hard to be vulnerable enough to express how I am being changed, being stretched, and could laugh and cry in many moments of my day. I think about the girls that you will never see smile, that are teaching me everyday, who are joyous without words. I think about Pinky today, washing bibs after lunch today with her dress tucked into her underwear. As she joyfully stomped in a bucket of water and bibs! A girl named Baby (who is actually older them me) who gives the volunteers the cold shoulder, patted the bench next to her and invited me to color in a coloring book with her today. I had a wonderful "conversation" with a girl who is not able to speak! I reflect on being blessed blessed in my own life, but see the blessings in these girls lives as well. One of the new volunteers came to Shanti Dan today, she had struggled with her feeelings about how sad things are here.(Yes, many of the girls are challenged beyond belief and the first day is very hard!) She will soon see that this is a Happy Place! We celebrate the small victories! I am glad to day that I am a part of it this summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment