Sunday, July 1, 2012

Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin...

This is the book that I began reading just a few days ago. This isn't a plug for a book, but  it has really had me reflecting on this trip. I recognize that this is not the easiest task... it is hot, the food can be unsafe, and I am doing many things that are out of my comfort zone. All and all, that is why it is so wonderful, doing this trip stretches you physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It all boils down to the fact that you are blessed in the process of blessing others. The girls that we are helping to teach, care for, and help with their everyday needs...push me to a limit that I am not 100% comfortable with. Cecelia who has cerebal palsy can physically explain her needs but can not get her body to cooperate, she needs help holding a cup and being lifted to the toilet. Suporna cannot speak because of her disabilities, smiles when she can no longer hold her spoon to feed herself and she will wait for you to awkwardly feed her the Bengali way with your hands.
( Making balls of food with your right hand and pushing them into her mouth with your thumb.) Surprisingly I have mastered that task and she continues to smile. Asha, one of our lively smiley girls has Down Syndrome. She had a chronic cold, but continues to smile and giggle. She loves "helping" carry laundry in her small bucket to the roof during laundry time. She is wonderfully in the way of our task, but it would not be nearly as enjoyable without her. These are only a few of the 65 girls, but even as slight as it may seem I believe we are all impacted by the other and that is what makes it so beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment