Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Nirmal Hriday- Immaculate Heart

Today I was one of the volunteers that was able to go work in the first slum school that Mother Teresa opened. The school has been remodeled and will be reopened soon for more students. The goal of this school is to get poor children ready to go into actual school programs that will be paid for by the Missionaries of Charity. I spent the day mending rugs with upholstery thread , fabric, and plastic to put an edge around the rug to keep it from coming apart. The work was not fun or easy, but the blessing came in another way.

Working with the MC's you have very limited times actually visiting with the sisters. You may work along side them, but it is very evident that they have assigned tasks and busily go about there work. The two volunteer coordinators are Sister Mercy Maria and Sister Margaret (There job is to organize all the volunteers). With high season of volunteers in full swing they do not have much time to visit with you.Right now there are so many volunteers that they do not have any morning or afternoon assignments available, until people leave and there is room for their place to be filled.

Today while mending rugs one of the sisters, Sister Eucharistina, called me over to help her hold the fabric and plastic in place as she was sewing (much easier if you work at a team). This was the beginning of a wonderful conversation, her telling me of her interactions with Mother Teresa, telling me about how she became an MC sister, her gently telling me that I had little faith when she asked if I was doing the Lord's work teaching (giggling as she assured me that I was). I have never had more than brief interactions with the sisters and many times you do not know their names beyond Sister. It was a great day. I enjoyed hearing her ask about me, the U.S., why I was in India. She shared the same with me, she answered my questions, talked about her life before she was and MC, her life now. As we worked she stopped and looked at me and told me, "Mother never worked this way (looking down during a task), she worked this way (as she peered into my eyes)" She let me know how present Mother Teresa was with everyone. She was passionate and present.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, this has just brought me such joy. To know you have met someone that worked with Mother Teresa just amazes me. To have that quiet time of work and sharing. What joy. Thanks for these wonderful reflexions, it is as if we are there with you. I love you, pray for you and cannot wait to talk to you when you get home. Love, Aunt Lo

    ReplyDelete